May 12, 2010

Lesson 1

On Friday the bossman had me do a letter for him from scratch, mostly because he had no desire to deal with these inane issues from the crazies.  My first real letter.  So I'm all nervous and excited and worried that I don't quite speak like a lawyer.  I speak like a normal person who just happens to have a law degree.  I start drafting this letter to the lawyer on the other side of a transaction that recently closed.  Our client, the purchaser, has a complaint that the washer is not working.  So I draft this short mickey mouse type letter to the other solicitor.  I give it to the bossman to look over and it turns out that I am supposed to have actual numbers included in the letter that I am asking for their client to pay.  I call the client to ask her to get an estimate an find out that she's actually talking about her dryer that is no longer working, not her washer.  Already my letter is falling apart.  She tells me she will get a repairman in to give her an estimate that we can provide to the other lawyer.  She calls back yesterday.  The repairman tells her that there is in fact nothing wrong with her dryer.  It's actually a problem with her vents.  The vents might be the responsibility of the condominium property management but the client claims that they told her it is not.  The other lawyer has taken over the task it seems, as this client is quite confused as to what is going on, and I have now lost my first chance to write a letter for an issue following closing.  Sigh.  It will come soon enough I guess.

I learned another thing this past week.  When I do my requisition letters, there is occassionally an instrument or two that has been expired or discharged but for some reason has not been deleted from title or the parcel page.  A request must be made to the Land Registry Office to have these items deleted.  This one parcel had three different instruments that need to be deleted because they were no longer relevant to title.  I wrote to the Office and they actually deleted them!  Yay!  I was told it would likely be difficult to get the Toronto Registry Office to actually remove the instruments as they are usually rahter busy an not into doing that for the people, but alas, they must like me.  So I can do my requisition letter as per usual.  Phew!

The receptionist who is taking over my role in the front was supposed to have started full time on Monday but she still has some schooling.  I'm not sure how long this college course is but it's clearly longer than most normal ones as it's going well into May.  I think it's on the American schedule, where they start at the end of August, have January off, and go until the end of May.  Which is unfortunate that the bossman chose this girl because now I'm still not able to get completely immersed into the articling experience yet.  But I'm told it's coming... So I keep waiting.  With bated breath.  And fingers crossed.  And a whole lot to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment