May 3, 2010

Missing the Beach

I am trying to get back into the swing of things.  I have been neglecting my blogging and my walking.  I haven`t been able to get back into the walking so I thought that I would start with the blogging. 

Puerto Plata was absolutely amazing.  We spent a week at the Grand Oasis Marien.  It`s a 4.5 star resort.  It exceeded all my expectations.  The food was really good.  Some things could have used more spice and flavour but they had a table  full of different herbs and spices that could easily be added to any dish.  So I refuse to allow anyone to complain about the food there.  I have been to Varadero and Holguin (both in Cuba) and the food in both those cities leave something to be desired.  The a la cartes were also very good in PP even though our resort made you line up around 6 o`clock in the evening to get a table.  There were no reservations made ahead of time.  But you could go as many times as you like, so we did the Italian restaurant twice and the Tex Mex restaurant once.  Delish.  Here are some examples of the a la cartes:


The beach and sun were amazing.  The beach was cleaned on a daily basis so there was no buildup of seaweed.  The sun was super strong and me being pastey white got amazingly burnt.  There were a lot of Dominicans on the beach trying to sell us stuff and to get us to go to their Orange Flea Market.  That was definitely an experience.  We went into the warehouse type area and pretty much were not allowed to leave until we bought something.  Thankfully, I think we got a couple of good deals.  You have to barter with them and are told never ever to pay the price that they originally ask for.  So I ended up getting an awesome turtle (two over the week), a wrap, mini cigars, Dominican baseball, two necklaces, two bracelets and a pair of earrings for $55 US and we think that we made out well.



We went off the resort only once.  It was for a Puerto Plata City Tour.  It involved going to the Brugal Rum Factory, Amber Museum, Rainbow Lounge (place to see whether an Amber stone was real or not plus a place to shop), the City Centre with San Felipe Cathedral, San Felipe Fortress, a buffet in a local restaurant and a Cable Car ride up Mount Isabel.  The mountain was fantastic and breathtaking.  There was a giant Jesus statue on top similar to that of Rio de Janeiro.  Plus it was all a botanical garden and there were many little critters that we were able to photograph.



The entire trip was amazing and I would recommend the resort and the City to anyone.

I finally am back at my old desk again!  The new girl has been officially trained so I have my old desk that I had last summer and in December.  However, it`s still only for 2.5 days a week until mid May.  She is still finishing up her semester.  But after that, full time in my cushy chair at my own desk away from reception!  I didn`t get the new computer though.  That went to another worker at the office.  But that`s fine as mine appears to be working fine, even though that co-worker has been using it and she is cursed.  Every computer she touches seems to turn evil.  I shouldn`t talk though.  In the past two months I managed to break two monitors.  I don`t even know how that is possible.  The one that the bossman used to replace the first one was just one in the office though so it wasn`t brand new.  If I was able to break a brand new monitor in two months, I would be damn impressed!  Of course, this new fancy monitor is at the receptionist`s desk.  I have everything old... But in just a matter of weeks I will be able to work on a mortgage file from start to finish!  The anticipation is mounting!

No comments:

Post a Comment