March 9, 2010

Walk for Health. Walk for Fun!

The big boss man is still threatening to find a replacement for my receptionist position.  I say threatening because this has been going on since the beginning of the year.  It's not like we didn't know this day was coming.  We decided on March 1 being my start day way back in December.  But of course, March snuck up on us.  Apparently.  I think he's too busy going on vacations to worry about little ole me.

I watched Julie & Julia last week.  That is what started getting me interested in perhaps starting up a new blog.  And then I saw that chick that played Donna on That Seventies Show on House and her whole life revolved around blogging as well.  So that kinda forced my hand.  Can't really come across two things like that in the span of a week and NOT take it as I sign, can you?!

So work today was pretty busy.  Spent the morning typing up letters for one of the lawyers.  We had to write letters about property taxes.  Thrilling.  Well, the clients find them thrilling.  For the most part, these letters are giving them back money that we held in excess.  When taxes for a property haven't been assessed and then that property is sold, the lawyer acting for the Vendor has to hold back money to pay to the Tax Department when the taxes become due.  And since it's not an exact science, there is usually way too much held back and then it goes back to the clients!  Now ain't that an exciting day in the office.

I had to spend ten minutes talking to a client today.  He was ranting and raving about the amount he has to bring in to complete his transaction.  The way he was calculating the amount is slightly different than the way that we calculate it.  So as he was trying to explain his way to me, I was busy trying to explain our way to him.  He refused to listen to my rationale so I got fed up and told him to call his mortgage broker.  And this was the third time he called today.  Asking the exact same question.  To three different people.  I wonder if he was thinking he would be getting a different response from each of us.  Or maybe he was hoping to bring is $500 less as based on his calculations.  But really, how much is $500 when you need to bring in $50,000??  People are so bizzare.

Then there is this other guy!  OY!  So I open up his file and I have an initial letter and questionnaire that I need to send to him.  I need an email address in which to do this. He's the seller in this particular transaction.  I call him up and tell him why I am calling him.  He proceeds to ask me several questions before feeling comfortable enough to give me this very secretive piece of personal information.  His email includes the words "grow op".  As in a drug grow op.  A grow house.  Now nearly all Agreements of Purchase andSale have provisions in the schedules that state that to the best of the Seller's knowledge, the house has never been used as a grow op.  And of course, this particular Agreement contains that clause.  Now I try to contain myself, but really.  If you are selling a house and claiming that there was never any illegal activity at the house, try to give the lawyers an email address that does not insinuate you are growing and producing drugs in your basement.  That's my tip to the wise.  For all you grow op operators that are trying to sell your homes.  Try to come up with a less obvious email address to give the lawyers.

Today was day four in my walking agenda.  I am trying to go for a walk daily.  Saturday we walked around the pond and saw some ducks and geese.  Apparently they thought it was spring. 

Sunday I tried to walk my dog but he's old and was not impressed with a long walk so we cut that short.  But after I dropped him off, I went out again.  And today I power walked around the neighbourhood for a half hour.  I am trying to get into shape for a trip in April that is unlikely to even happen now.  But it's always good to stay active.  We'll just see if I keep it up now that any motivation I had is gone.

We watched The Box movie tonight.  It stars Cameron Diaz, James Marsden and the classic creepy guy that was in that short lived tv show "unscripted".  It was rather strange and nothing seemed to be answered.  At the end I just stared at it and wondered why I watched it.  But I don't feel like I wasted my time.  It's a hard feeling to describe.  And it's a hard movie to descirbe.  A box gets dropped off and you have to determine whether you are willing to allow someone to die so that you can be given $1 million.  I thought that I would easily do it in a heartbeat but maybe I am not so sure now that I watched the whole movie and saw the consequences and butterfly-like effect.  Sorry for that crappy description.  Clearly I am no writer and no movie critic.

1 comment:

  1. Wow. I don't even know where to start with your client stories today. Grow Op Dude clearly lacks some common sense. What a turd! He needs to watch Weeds for some basic pointers.

    My dad and I saw geese and he was puzzled as to what they were doing here too. Apparently they didn't get the memo that winter's here for another six weeks. Oh wells.

    Ah walks! Sunday was so nice that I actually wished I had a dog so that I could take it out for a walk. For some reason I just can't get myself to go out for a walk alone--it kind of creeps me out.

    ReplyDelete