March 16, 2010

Who says Real Estate is boring?!

I shall start out with my most exciting thing of the day even though it happened merely moments to quittin time.

One of the lawyers is signing up a client.  In fact there are three clients - parents and a child.  This is not a young child, though.  About 25 years old.  I believe the condo they are buying is for him.  Now me and another girl at the office had already been talking with these clients several times during the day.  Yesterday also.  They were having a hard time wrapping their head around the amount they needed to bring in.  So we explained it thorroughly with them.  And sent them the documents via email so they could see all the numbers and figures that we were talking about.  We even told them to talk to the person that had set up their mortgage.  Plus, it's a condo from a builder so there were probably a few extra amounts that they didn't take into consideration.  I'm not sure because I didn't work on that part of the file but the builders are sneaky sneaky fellas.

The meeting room is a small room directly inside the door to our office.  As I am still sitting in the front, at the front desk, I can usually hear murmurs and whisperings from the meeting room, but rarely can I hear full conversations.  That was not the case today.  I could hear all three clients loud and clear.  One was deaf but he certainly knew how to read lips and he certainly knew how to vocalize how he was feeling.  Another spoke barely any English at all.  The third had some grasp of English but there was still a very obvious language barrier. They are still asking about the amount of money that they needed to pay to complete their transaction.  Which, of course, they didn't bring in because they wanted it explained to them.  So the lawyer is trying to carefully go over the numbers.  But each of them keep talking and refuse to listen to her answers.  Next thing I know she's swung open the door and heading to the bossman's office.  She comes back within moments and tells the clients that she has done the best she could, they refused to listen and she will not finish signing them up.  But the bossman will sign them up in the morning.

Complete chaos ensues.  The three irrate clients storm out of the meeting room and come face to face with me.  As I am the only one in the front.  They begin yelling and screaming and threatening to go to another lawyer.  Saying that we are trying to screw them out of their money.  That our fees are totally outrageous (when really the money they need to bring in is everything that their mortgage doesn't cover and is therefore mostly costs added on by the builder).  That they are going to sue.  As I am standing by the fax machine I try to make my way further away from them, distancing myself as best I can.  But they virtually storm past me screaming about their rights.  The woman demands that she be heard.  Trust me.  She could be heard.  By everyone in the damn building.  They actually rushed into the lawyer's office.  Finally the bossman comes out of his hiding shell of his office.  I think he had his door shut otherwise there's no way he didn't hear it any sooner.  He had to physically push his way past the father and son to put himself between them and the lawyer.  He asked them to leave several times and told them to come back in the morning as we were nearly closed.  They insisted they couldn't get another day off from work.  He then threatened to call the cops.  That got them out of there in a jiffy.  Needless to say the door was shut and bolted behind them.  I was a little scared to leave, since it was only five minutes later, but me and a coworker left together.  With the two of us, we could totally take them!!

Moral of the story: Don't be a dingus.

I have actually been keeping track of things that I do during the day, but it appears I have left it at work.  I am organized and nerdy like that.  But also clearly very forgetful.

I have been doing a lot of Requisition Letters lately.  This is done on every single purchase file. I briefly spoke about them a couple of posts ago.  What I do is look at the parcel page.  Each property has a parcel page.  This outlines everything that has ever happened on a particular piece of land or a particular condo unit, be it dwelling, parking or locker.  It's very thorough.  It lists all the transfers that have ever been done and the purchase price.  It lists every agreement, easement, lien or restrictive covenant on that piece of land.  It lists every single mortgage that has ever been on there, even if it has already been paid off and even if it was from three or four owners previous.  If it is no longer relevant or the item has been discharged from title, it is "deleted".  Deleted instruments are still there.  They just say deleted so we know not to worry about them anymore.  I hope I didn't make all that sound more difficult than it really is.  How am I ever going to teach someone the ropes?!?  I am the worst describer ever.  Sigh.  Anyways, what I do with this parcel page is outline everything on there that has not been deleted and is therefore still outstanding.  I then send this list to the Vendor's lawyer and ask them to ensure that the agreements, easements and restrictive covenants have all been complied with; that the liens and mortgages get paid off and discharged/deleted; and any other encumbrances come off title.  Also, we search the Vendors' names to see if they have ever been sued.  Now I don't do that part yet because I haven't gotten my Teraview disk yet but it's a coming!  Apparently... So if one of the Vendors' names come up, we send it to their lawyer and ask them to determine whether it is actually their client or not.  This will take some work.  They will have to contact the people who act for the people that have sued them.  If it is them, they need to be paid off.  Otherwise, title would not be transfered free and clear and no one wants to get title subject to someone elses debts.  If it's not them, they can merely provide letters from those other lawyers saying they are not one and the same person.  I know.  Challenging again.  Our office will also search for the purchaser (who is our client) and will have to perform the same thing if any executions come up against their name.

I was going to talk about something else but I think that is technical enough for one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment